Attempting to push glabels rawhide update: Git error ("DENIED by fallthru")

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Mon May 30 05:27:21 UTC 2011

Hello, all.

I've trying to update gLabels to 3.0.0 in rawhide for the past few
hours, and Git is giving me troubles. I fixed up the spec file, and
after verifying it through mock and some test runs with labels I've
already made, I went to commit it with the following error message from Git:

$ fedpkg new-sources glabels-3.0.0.tar.bz2
$ fedpkg commit -m 'Update to 3.0.0; <snip>' -p

remote: W refs/heads/master glabels pgordon DENIED by fallthru
remote: error: hook declined to update refs/heads/master
To ssh://pgordon@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/glabels
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to
'ssh://pgordon@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/glabels'
Could not push: Command '['git', 'push']' returned non-zero exit status 1

I at first thought that this might be due to old certificates or
something along those lines, so I created a new server-side certificate
(`fedora-cert -n`) and reran the fedora-packager-setup script. But after
doing this, I get the same error message (this time just running `fedpkg
push`).

After a bit of Google-ing, I've discovered that this message appears to
be the result of my change deleting a branch on the server, which
carries different permissions than simply modifying that branch. This
seems like it would be a plausible explanation, since part of the update
removes the XML patch (libxml-XML_PARSE_HUGE.patch) that was used in
prior versions. I do not understand why I am getting the error message
in this case though, since I'm deleting a file within the branch, not
the branch itself.

I have followed the instructions on the Wiki HOWTO page [1] to the
letter; but I'm still trying to learn to use Git properly, so have I
configured incorrectly? Is there some trick which I perhaps missed?

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO

Thanks.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter at thecodergeek.com>