Upgrading from Fedora 14 to 15 -> some problems

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue May 31 11:07:36 UTC 2011

On 05/28/2011 08:11 PM, Björn Persson wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> the key is that we don't test any kind of real-world configuration, with
>> anything other than default apps, actual user data in place and so on.
>
> And it shows. :-( My user account has been through many upgrades, and I've
> grown accustomed to having various problems that don't show up in newly
> created accounts.

This is also my experience both at user level and at system level.

At the user level, I just create a new user and see if I can replicate
the problem. If not, a manual bisection of the user config files will
typically lead to a solution rather quickly. (but KDE3->KDE4 was a
difficult matter, in fact I still don't know how I can activate
activities windows tabbing on kwin).

At the system level, I install new Fedora releases from scratch on an
an additional junk machine, try things around and after upgrading my real
machines, I use the junk one as reference to replicate problems and diff
configs. Used that recently for issues related to fonts and antialias
settings (concluded that the new installation is bugged too).

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it