Vanilla builds guideline?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 1 17:23:25 UTC 2011

Ondrej Vasik wrote:
> Is it possible to establish some common rule for Vanilla builds in
> Packaging Guidelines?

IMHO, that would be unhelpful, unneccessary and unsupportable.

You already mention that there are patches which need to be applied for the
package to build/work at all. It's not always obvious which these are. Plus,
where do you draw the line between working and not working? Moreover, in
some cases, building against the Fedora libfoo will require a patch, whereas
building against the vanilla libfoo won't (and the patch might even make it
not build).

I think it's hard enough to make things work as is. People who want vanilla
upstream software should build it directly from upstream or use Slackware.
I'll take software that actually works, thank you very much! Every minute
spent on making vanilla builds work is a minute NOT spent on making our
default builds work better.

        Kevin Kofler