F17 heads up: gnome-shell for everyone!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 06:09:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 03:42 +0000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> Adam Jackson <ajax <at> redhat.com> writes:
>
> > As of tomorrow's rawhide [1], gnome-session will no longer treat
> > llvmpipe as an unsupported driver.  This means gnome-shell will run even
> > on hardware without a native 3D driver, including virt guests.
>
> For all of us gnome-shell sceptics that prefer the fallback mode, does that mean
> that mutter will then be default WM for everything? Or does it mean that we'll
> be evicted from the Gnome user space completely?

That's really a policy decision for the GNOME / Fedora desktop teams,
not for ajax.

But based on what they've said in the past, I expect that once most
hardware that previously needed the fallback mode is covered, fallback
mode will die. AIUI, fallback mode isn't meant to be a GNOME
2-by-stealth for Shell refuseniks, it's purely an attempt to accommodate
hardware which doesn't support Shell.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey