unsure for wich component file bugreport

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 4 17:00:45 UTC 2011

Am 04.11.2011 17:29, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> Well, believe me, there's no point in bitching here about Avahi. I
> didn't make the choice that .local was the mDNS domain. Apple did.

well, everytime i come in contact with anything from apple i could throw
something out of the window beginning  with the "systemctl ACTION service"
instead  "systemctl SERVICE action" while i laughed over years about apples
order of this in their systemadmin and got this now on linux too

Am 04.11.2011 17:30, schrieb Michal Schmidt:
> On 11/04/2011 05:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 04.11.2011 16:37, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
>>> nslookup will only work for unicast DNS names, and hence will bypass any mDNS lookups.
>>
>> as you see "nslookup" does not bypass, it resolves
>> so what component and how to tell leave my configuration in peace?
>
> Configure "hosts:" in /etc/nsswitch.conf. You don't seem to want to use
> mdns4_minimal

thanks, this is it, but no need to diable it completly
see the original line and the new one where it works with a small delay

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
hosts: files mdns4_minimal dns

with this version delays are also solved:
hosts: files dns mdns4_minimal

BTW:
this was introduced a long time in the past, did go away from one day
to another and did come back - so there must have been some changes in the
past, maybee a good idea that yum/rpm will no longer touch this file