Upgrading libpng: shall we move to 1.4.x or 1.5.x?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Nov 4 18:30:50 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> said:
> Any opinions on which way to jump?

How hard is it to fix source that accesses the fields directly?  Do all
the fields that were previously exposed have direct accessor functions?
If that's the case, it should be straight-forward (although time
consuming) grunt work to get the necessary packages fixed (maybe some of
it can even be scripted?).  If you can give a basic "replace info.foo
with foo(info)" type script, it shouldn't be too hard to get enough help
to roll through it (I'd be willing if you can tell me what to do; I've
never used libpng directly myself, so I'm not familiar with what is
required).

Since all the packages that depend on libpng would have to be rebuilt
twice if you don't go to the latest version now, I'd say go ahead and
get it over with once (i.e. go to 1.5).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>