F17 heads up: gnome-shell for everyone!

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 5 13:59:45 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 13:40 +0000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> w <at> googlemail.com>
> writes:
>
> > Yet look at all the happy users of
> default Gnome 3!
> > I am one of them
[... snip ...]
> Please. What would you think of the
> system that when you click on FF starts
> FF, Evo and Gimp? I think you would say
> the system is broken.
>
> Right now, if I want to start an app, the
> shell gives me zoom out, search,
> expose, workspaces, dash and apps,
> followed by zoom in. WTF? Seriously?

Right now, if I want to start an app, I just hit alt+f2, type the first
few letters, hit tab and then enter.

No zoom, no search, no expose, no workspaces, no dash.

Just see it that way: you have one powerful interface to do advanced
stuff (reorganizing windows, editing your favorites, searching,...) and
a few simple keyboard shortcuts to do those same actions faster:
- alt+f2 to run an app
- ctrl+alt+arrow up/down to change workspace

Etc...

Nothing broken here. Just convenience, efficiency and adaptation to my
workflows, whether I'm trying to be productive or just relaxing.

> I am glad that you can take a lot of pain,

He wrote he was happy with Gnome 3, which doesn't tell me he is capable
of taking a lot of pain, rather that he is enjoying this environment.

And so am I.

In fact, I'm taking a lot of pain when I have to go back to Gnome 2,
which I used to love before I moved to Gnome 3.

It's obvious that Gnome 3 doesn't work for you. Just use something else
then, no one is forcing you to « take that pain ». At least two
alternatives have been suggested already in this thread, so pick the one
that works for you, and be happy with it, while others are happy with
something else.

--
Mathieu