reporting bugs

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Nov 5 19:18:38 UTC 2011

Reindl Harald wrote:
> yes - because most maintainers are having bugzilla-accounts upstream
> and reading the uptream-mailing-lists and are much more cooperative as
> the KDE SIG, especially Kevin Kofler

Yes, we have Bugzilla accounts upstream. But as I explained, upstream wants
to talk to the actual person experiencing the bug, not to a middleman. Plus,
we get many bug reports, it'd be very time-consuming for us to forward them
all upstream, whereas you as a user (hopefully) have much fewer bug reports
to deal with. It's not our job to play "stille Post" for you (a game which
necessarily loses information with every middleman you introduce).

> if you than report a bundle of new introduced bugs upstream you are
> told in the case of KDE yous hould file for every piece a seperate
> bugreport

Of course! It is just plain impossible to work with a "bug report" which
conflates several, totally different issues, which need to be tracked and
fixed separately. Upstream will also require one bug report per issue. It's
part of the absolute basics of bug reporting. We just cannot track what's
fixed and what's still open if we have multiple issues in one report,
because a report can only be either open or closed.

> guys this is not the way you can act with users treat them report
> exactly where and how you like it, a few peopole will do, most
> will never again report any bug and stop testing packages and
> later if there are too few testers maintainers are whining "why?"

Thankfully, not all users are as lazy and arrogant as you.

        Kevin Kofler