Heads up: libpng bumped to 1.5.x in rawhide

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 19:46:53 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> wrote:
> Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> writes:
>> This is my first time as a contributor to run into this.
>> Do I simply need to increment by release by 1 (or .1?) and build?
>
> If no source-code changes are needed, then yes, it's sufficient to
> increment the release number (either way that suits you) and rebuild
> in rawhide.
>
> I assume you're thinking of OpenImageIO?  [ checks results of test
> runs... ]  You will need a source-code patch for that one, because it
> uses the symbol Z_BEST_COMPRESSION, which is exported by <zlib.h>, which
> is no longer automatically included by <png.h>.  So you'll need to add
> #include <zlib.h> to whichever file(s) need that.  It might be that
> there are further changes needed --- the error on that symbol was as far
> as my test build got.

Yup, I figured that out! I'm still not a C programmer but my hacker
skills are improving. I ended up grep'ing through /usr/include for
Z_BEST_COMPRESSION and found that zlib.h had what I needed. I checked
upstream and the master branch already has the fix but the (updated)
0.10.3 still does not. I'm doing a local mock build to make sure my
patch works.

Thanks,
Richard