F17 heads up: gnome-shell for everyone!

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Sun Nov 6 23:25:50 UTC 2011

Florian Müllner <fmuellner <at> gnome.org> writes:

Rebuttal only here. No new material.

> Does that mean that the existence of terminal emulators for X11 is proof
> of graphical user interfaces being a mistake?

Terminal and (I guess other) GUI apps do entirely _different_ things. Apps menu
in overview and apps menu in normal view do the _same_ thing.

> Really, all those extensions proof is that *some* people prefer (parts
> of) the old interface, and cared enough to implement it as extensions.
> Good for them!

It actually proves that some people were willing to put an effort into
_duplicating_ the functionality already present in overview, because they found
that going into overview involves _unnecessary_ steps.

> But implying that users who don't use any of those
> extensions are either insane or don't exist is a stretch at best, if not
> plain rude.

I did not imply that users that use gnome-shell as is are insane. What I said
was that GUI behaviour that introduces many _unnecessary_ steps for _no_
_benefit_ is insane.

--
Bojan