Heads Up: FESCo is considering to block packages providing sysvinit services without systemd unit

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Nov 7 19:39:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:35:18 -0900
Jef Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Eventual blocking of the packages that violate this Fedora packaging
> > rule was not yet definitively decided upon, but we agreed that the
> > Fedora package maintainers should be warned that such blocking might
> > happen before the Fedora 17 Alpha release.
>

> Two questions,
>
> 1) Do we have an accurate list of the packages in this category. And
> more importantly how many of these have closed CLAs in the packaging
> trees  which would prevent me as a good Samaritan from digging in and
> committing a service file into the rawhide branch. The closed CLA
> situations are going to be the touchiest, so lets not get blindsided
> by those in the 11th hour.

There should be a tracker bug updated soon. It looks like there's
around 330 packages currently in this state.

> 2) And it would be very good if there was a clearly stated mandate
> from FESCO that gave proven-packagers expressed authority to deal with
> this on a case by case basis once this becomes a ticking clock
> situation.

We already had such a suggestion, and I can't see why it would be any
different this cycle. ;) If you are a provenpackager and wish to help
out, please do work on adding unit files and converting packages that
have not yet been converted.

kevin