F17 heads up: gnome-shell for everyone!

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Mon Nov 7 22:31:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 14:33 +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> You won't be able to convince Gnome3 zealots.

That's a bit harsh, I think. They are just very impressionable folk. :-)

> Believe me, a lot of people tried.

I would like to believe that a rational argument eventually prevails.

> Vote with your legs. Switch to a different desktop.
> A lot of people switched to xfce.

Yeah, it seems so.

I have a lot years invested in Gnome, helped fix many bugs by diligently
reporting problems, chasing traces etc. Don't want to throw all that
away just because one aspect of one program is not done right.

I also do not dislike gnome-shell per se. Many things are done right and
make sense. Overview, on the other hand, looks like an implementation of
RFC1925(6).

I think what will most likely happen is that someone out there will come
up with an extension to nuke the Activities button and replace it with
Applications button. And that will be the end of that discussion.

--
Bojan