Heads up: bumping libnl to v3 in rawhide/F17 soon

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 18:00:03 UTC 2011

> Dan Williams (dcbw at redhat.com) said:
> > At some point here I'm going to bump libnl to version 3 in rawhide.  The
> > libnl 1.1 we use today is way out of date and we want version 3 for the
> > enhanced capabilities like bonding, bridging, vlan, etc.  This *does*
> > mean an API break, so packages will need to be updated for libnl3.  The
> > majority of the changes are simply function renames and changed
> > structure names.  There's no porting guide that I'm aware of but I and
> > others working on NetworkManager have spent time porting from libnl1.1
> > to libnl3 this cycle so we can point you in the right direction.
>
> Can we ship libnl-1.1 as a parallel-installed compatibility library,
> at least in the short term?

I believe libnl3 *might* be parallel installable; I've had conversations
with tgraf about how to make it so.  I'll investigate once the upstream
git repo comes back online.  In the past the problem was mainly with the
devel package and the location of the headers and the .pc file (ie, it
was always /usr/include/netlink no matter what the version of libnl) but
I believe Thomas fixed that earlier this summer for libnl3.

Dan