Proposing Fedora Feature for private /tmp and /var/tmp for all systemd services in Fedora 17.

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Wed Nov 9 07:06:09 UTC 2011

ons 2011-11-09 klockan 02:06 +0100 skrev Lennart Poettering:

> That said, I am not particularly keen on having an inflation of subdirs
> in /tmp created at early boot. I'd much prefer if we design our stuff in
> a robust way so that directories are created when they are needed, but
> without them being guessable.

I see the static naming in a systemd owned folder as preferable for many
reasons

Less racy as only root can create the folders

Easier to identify what the folders belongs to

Easier to handle in /tmp garbage cleanup strategies

Less prone to having lots of garbage folders collect in /tmp over time.

Services keep their /tmp on restarts (for both good and bad)

Regards
Henrik