F17 heads up: X server git snapshots

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Nov 9 21:14:03 UTC 2011

I'm currently rebuilding the X stack for F17, and we'll be tracking git
snapshots of the X server and drivers until xserver 1.12 comes out.  I
don't know yet how many of the drivers will ftbfs now, so --skip-broken
might be your friend for a while.  Binary and out-of-tree driver users
will want to configure yum.conf to exclude xorg-x11-\* until their drug
of choice catches up.

I've changed the way we expose ABI versions in rpm.  Builds of upstream
releases will look like this:

$ rpm -q --provides xorg-x11-server-Xorg | grep abi
xserver-abi(ansic-0) = 4
xserver-abi(extension-6) = 0
xserver-abi(videodrv-11) = 0
xserver-abi(xinput-13) = 0

But git snapshots will look like:

$ rpm -qp --provides xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.11.99.1-1.20111109.fc17.x86_64.rpm | grep abi
xserver-abi(ansic-20111109) = 0
xserver-abi(extension-20111109) = 0
xserver-abi(videodrv-20111109) = 0
xserver-abi(xinput-20111109) = 0

This is a bit excessive - essentially binding drivers to exactly the
server they were built against - but it should prevent the problems we
had in the F16 cycle of silent ABI changes between xserver builds
causing drivers to crash.

- ajax