openssh-server in F16ga

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 9 22:10:42 UTC 2011

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY <kkeithle <at> redhat.com> writes:

> IIRC in f16alpha and f16beta with openssh-server installed, sshd was
> enabled and run.
>
> I installed f16ga in several vm guests yesterday and even though
> openssh-server was installed, it was both not enabled and therefor not
> run when the install finished and after a reboot.
>
> It's possible that I forgot that I had to do a systemctl enable sshd and
> systemctl run sshd on my f16alpha and f16beta guests, but since I've
> only just learned about systemctl I tend to think I would have
> remembered needing to do that?
>
> Is not enabling and running sshd intentional?

After doing an install to hard drive from a F16 live image, I had to run
system-config-firewall, then save settings by unchecking and rechecking the SSH
box (which was already checked, same as install from install images) and
clicking Apply. This caused an SSH iptables rule to be written which did not
exist before. So basically, after an install to hard drive from a live image,
s-c-f is lying when it claims that SSH is a trusted service - that's not true
until you force it to save settings.

I don't remember whether I had to manually start sshd as well before doing this.