Why does git merge have so much trouble with Fedora package branches?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Nov 10 04:11:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 07:46:57PM -0600, Adam Williamson wrote:
> It's rather infuriating to have to go in and 'fix' a bunch of
> 'conflicts' which are not conflicts at all, but just the changes you
> wanted to merge with a bunch of silly >>>> and <<<< around them.

I use this:

fedpkg switch-branch f16
git merge -s recursive -X theirs master

and have a git alias for it in ~/.gitconfig:

[alias]
        copymaster = merge -s recursive -X theirs master

This forces the f16 branch contents to match the master branch
contents.  I haven't looked closely at what it does to the linear git
history though.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist