Heads Up: FESCo is considering to block packages providing sysvinit services without systemd unit

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Nov 9 10:59:34 UTC 2011

Am 09.11.2011 11:23, schrieb Ric Wheeler:
>>>   What other form of encouragement can you suggest?
>> I can't think of anything that would work.
>
> Blocking shipment of major features would leave fedora crippled.
>
> I suggest going back to the normal open source way - if you want autofs or other
> package to move towards your new thing (systemd or whatever), get to know the
> system and propose patches.
>
> This "blocking" sounds like bullying, not like our normal community process of
> discussion, patch sharing and proof in implementation....

i thought this blocking was even for F16

the problem is that with F15 we (users) got a horrible mixed system and
F15 should never be released with this state of broken mysqld as example

the main-problem is that guidelines FORBID a conversion if the package
was released without systemd-unit, so if there is a service missing
it at the release of F16 it can only be converted with the release of
F17, if it was released with F17 as sysv-service it can only be
converted with F18

seeing that the switch to systemd was decided before the services are
ready and maintainers do not care about this and blocking conversion
in the normal lifetime-cycle is unacceptable for users wanting a
clean system instead wait 10 years until the services are converted

if a package is blocked at release time it can be brought as new
package with systemd-unit - this guidelines are unacceptable!