Why does git merge have so much trouble with Fedora package branches?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:55:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 09:02:45AM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 13:27 +0100, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> > I'm sorry but the reason is that people don't know git workflows.
>
> I guess it depends on what is the maintainer preferred workflow.
>
> I personally hate git merge, especially for stuff so simple as fedora
> trees. It gives no advantages I can see to the way I work and causes
> quite a lot of bad side-issues.
>
> [..]

I've found git cherry-pick hard to use compared to git merge -- but then
again, I'm using cherry-pick to actually cherry-pick; not keep two branches
in sync.

So if my usual workflow is commit to master, test, commit, test, then
make fX equivalent to master and build there, what is the cherry-pick way to
do that simple task?

git merge way would be:

$ git checkout f16
$ git merge master

which seems very simple and very suited for this particular workflow.

-Toshio