Why does git merge have so much trouble with Fedora package branches?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 18:34:20 UTC 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 10:23 AM, Josh Stone wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 10:15 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Nov 10, 2011, at 1:52 AM, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
>>>
>>> Someone might correct me, but rebasing introduces problems for
>>> co-maintainers, if upstream (maintainer) decides to rebase some
>>> branch.
>>>
>>> See http://man.he.net/man1/git-rebase
>>
>> Our repo setup does not allow non-fastforward changes, so there is no
>> way to have a rebase action create problems for other maintainers.
>
> I suppose you mean no "git push -f", but do you also prevent deleting
> branches?  Otherwise you can manually force by deleting and pushing
> anew.  Of course, if you're doing that, you'd be better be very aware
> that you're playing with fire...

I don't believe you can delete a branch remotely, I think releng has to do it on the server.  Yes, you could still ask releng to delete a branch, then you could re-create it with the same name and have the same net effect, however we don't let developers create (nor would we delete) the top level Fedora/EPEL branches.  It'd be some other topic branch that would fall victim.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!