Getting grub launching the installer

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Nov 12 18:45:30 UTC 2011

Michael Schwendt writes:

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:04:33 -0500, SV (Sam) wrote:
>
> > For the longest time, I was able to upgrade an existing system by copying
> > over the pxeboot vmlinuz and initrd.img, sticking them into menu.lst, and
> > directing grub to load them.
> >
> > Up until F14 this worked fine. F15's pxeboot/vmlinuz made me stare at a
> > blank screen, and the only available option, apparently, was the three-
> > fingered salute. I wrote it off as an F15 glitch.
> >
> > Now, same story with F16. Looks like I have to do a real PXE boot. No big
> > deal, but it's a pain. Grub was much easier – copy two files over, edit
> > menu.lst, and I'm done.
> >
> > I don't seem to find this installation method documented, just wondering if
> > it's gone for good, or this is just my problem.
>
> What kind of machine is it?

No-name 1U rack. Pair of SATA drives. 4 gigs of RAM.

> Using the vmlinuz+initrd.img pair from the 'isolinux' directory continues
> to work. Add boot option repo=... or askmethod as appropriate.

I'll have to try this. But it'll have to be some other time. F16 grub2
barfed and refused to install, when I got around to installing it via PXE.
The machine survived a reboot, thanks to the F15 version of grub that was
left intact. Removed grub2, installed F16 grub, applied all updates. The
reinstalled grub now barfs on reboot with 'Error 16'. Can't go any further,
so I'm just bringing it up in rescue over PXE, making a backup over the
network, and I'll have to install everything from scratch. Stick a fork in
me, I'm done.