Getting grub launching the installer

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Nov 13 13:13:09 UTC 2011

Michael Schwendt writes:

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 13:45:30 -0500, SV (Sam) wrote:
>
> > F16 grub2
> > barfed and refused to install, when I got around to installing it via PXE.
> > The machine survived a reboot, thanks to the F15 version of grub that was
> > left intact. Removed grub2, installed F16 grub, applied all updates. The
> > reinstalled grub now barfs on reboot with 'Error 16'. Can't go any further,
>
> At this point I would have expected a brief comment on what you've tried
> to examine the reason for this error. Error 16 is documented and smells like
> you've made GRUB 1 load an incompatible config file, e.g. perhaps the one
> from GRUB 2?

Oh yes, I tried pretty much everything I could think of. Rerun /sbin/grub-
install alone. Rerun /sbin/grub-install with the --root-directory option. Re-
fsck /boot. Resync the mdraid volume that /boot lives on. Error 16 is
documented as grub being unable to parse the filesystem where the stage 1.5
files are. As far I could tell, everything was kosher. Device.map was good.
F16 grub refuses to boot, end of story. Given that, in F16, grub was
deprecated I pretty much decided to cut my losses, copy my files off this
machine, and load a fresh install of F16. I already spent half my day on
this.

So, I loaded a new F16 install. Anaconda obediently created my mdraid
volumes, installed everything without a complaint, this time. So, looking
forward to resuming normal life again, I rebooted, only to be told by grub2
that it can't find the volume by UUID. The end.

Two F16 reinstalls later, each time fiddling with the mdraid partition
layouts, yet each time producing the same results, I found
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F16_bugs#Cannot_boot_with_.2Fboot_partition_on_a_software_RAID_array

Great, except for the part where it doesn't say /where/ to add this, in the
massive grub.cfg hairball. I sort of figured it out, and spent the rest of
the today restoring the data on this machine, from my backups.