Advanced IPv6 in NetworkManager

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Mon Nov 14 10:06:36 UTC 2011

Just reinstalled two servers with F16 this weekend, and IPv6 seems to be
working fine in NetworkManager.

There is - however - one option I am missing: Some form of combined
static and dynamic configuration.
IE. I want the server to obtain an IPv6-address dynamically, but i ALSO
want it to have one (or more) static IP-address(es) in the same prefix.

So on boot, NetworkManager recieves something like
  2001:840:0:11:21d:9ff:fe07:638c/64

Based on this prefix, it should also configure the interface with
  2001:840:0:11::10/64
and
  2001:840:0:11::20/64

That would make installation and configuration of IPv6-servers a lot
easier, as you do not need to turn off dynamic addresses to give the
server a static address.

(I'd love to have the same feature in IPv4 too, but currently my main
focus is IPv6, so that is my main cincern right now).

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen