[Test-Announce] Announcing the release of Fedora 16.

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 14:28:19 UTC 2011

On 11/15/11 00:38, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 17:48 +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Fedora 16 is not science fiction. It is here right now:
>>> http://get.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> Hmm, no jigdo downloads any more?
>
> Releng say they dropped jigdo due to overwhelming indifference (the
> download numbers for the jigdo images were tiny).

Yea, most users don't care probably.  Also note that the download page
never explained what these files are good for, so if you don't know what
it is you probably just skip over it.

For developers like me which have a F16 repo for mock builds anyway it
is quite useful though.  A large fraction of the stuff in Packages/ is
on my disk already, and with a jigdo I could save quite a bit on
bandwidth and download time over my not-exactly-fast internet link ...

Given the size of the jigdo files small download numbers are not a good
reason to stop that service IMHO.  Its not like we are saving tons of
mirror bandwidth ...

cheers,
  Gerd