git push permission denied

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Wed Nov 16 00:34:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 07:22:53PM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> I just had to setup a new machine, and new ssh keys.
>
> I visited
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/edit/xxxx
>
> I chose my new id_rsa.pub to upload.
>
> But I get:
>
> git push --verbose
> Pushing to ssh://nbecker@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/mercurial
> Permission denied (publickey).
>
> Hints?

I had a similar problem that didn't make sense to me but manually adding
the new ssh key to my agent (even though it was already there) fixed it
for me.

Next time I rebooted/restarted my X session the problem was resolved.

One annoying gotcha I hit after adding the new key to my agent was that
many places now failed to auth as it tried each key in my agent and
exceeded the MaxAuthTries in sshd

I hope that helps.

Yours Tony