cisco vpn because of ipsec over tcp

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Nov 16 12:49:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 21:08 +0400, Lucas wrote:

> I am talking about ipsec over TCP.
>
> Everything can do ipsec over UDP, but none over TCP. But on my job for
> the security reason UDP is blocked, cisco vpn can do ipsec over tcp.

That's entirely stupid. The Cisco "IPsec over TCP" is basically the
*same* as UDP, except it fakes a TCP header on each packet in order to
make it pass through crappy firewalls and NAT which only supports TCP.

If your IT department think that UDP needs to be blocked "for the
security reason", then it sounds like they are incompetent and should be
fired. Or just taken out back and shot.

We *have* had Cisco's IPSec over TCP working; it's not particularly
difficult. However, we never really worked out how to make it work
nicely on Linux; the kernel really *really* wants to eat all TCP packets
and will give a TCP RST to any connection it doesn't think is open. Any
mechanism to effectively operate TCP in userspace, which is what we need
to do, would be very much frowned upon.

--
dwmw2