scripts without she-bang in /usr/lib/packagename/

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Nov 17 18:09:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> When you talk about scripts, do you mean that the code calling these scripts
> does the equivalent of this (note, I generated my examples by reading up on
> ruby on the web just prior to posting... please allow for this perhaps not
> being real ruby code :-))::
>
>  system('/usr/lib/packagename/foo.rb')
>
> or this::
>
>  require '/usr/lib/packagename/foo.rb'

This is what is used.

>  Foo::run()
>
> or this::
>
>  system('/usr/bin/ruby /usr/lib/packagename/foo.rb')
>
> The first example needs a shebang.  The second example should be mode 0644
> and you could place them in /usr/share/packagename/.

Ahh. I thought /usr/share should not contain any executable code, including
modules. But I cannot find a clear reference to that on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines

I'll talk to upstream about the default install location, as I think it would
not be wise for the fedora package the hack those paths.

Thanks,

Paul