Need help with bundled lib issue for OpenColorIO

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 18:55:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
>> > Only if he's significantly modifying the bundled libs and upstream won't
>> > take the changes.  If you unbundle and build against the system versions,
>> > and it works, that's what you need to do.  Always link dynamically if at
>> > all possible.
>>
>> Ok, so the public/private API's won't be a problem?
>>
> I'm not quite sure what he means by public/private API.  If he's saying that
> the end user doesn't see the xml and yaml libraries's APIs that seems like
> it's tangential to the issue.

I've had some further communication with upstream and they have agreed
that the libraries in question need to be unbundled, but may in the
meantime seek an exception. The reason for this is that the two
libraries are mainly used for serialization and they are concerned
that it may not work correctly/dependably across the different
versions of the library in different distro's. This is a summary, see
this link[1] for his full explanation.

I think part of their immediate hesitation is that this is apparently
an industrial grade app that has been used by Sony for use in movies
(such as Cloudy With A chance of Meatballs) and they want to make sure
it works the same on all platforms (the one big positive with bundled
libs).

>> He did mention they were patched, some of it for build reasons (no
>> problem) but some of it was to make it work. He's going to check to
>> see if those patches have made their way into upstream.
>>
> If upstream hasn't taken them yet, it's possible that our packages could
> carry the changes.  It depends on the maintainer of the library package,
> whether the upstream is going to merge the changes eventually, and whether
> they cause incompatibilities.  Something to keep in mind.

They are looking into whether their patches have made it upstream or
not, so that's TBD.

Thanks,
Richard

[1] https://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/pull/183#issuecomment-2777004