python-fedora update for F-14 brings in additional 57 packages

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Thu Nov 17 22:28:48 UTC 2011

Hi list,
could someone explain why an update in a branch that's supposed
to be stable and is nearing EOL requires me to download 14MB worth
of additional packages (57 extra dependencies) for a 360KB package?
Doesn't this go against our update guidelines?

For the record, the installed version is 0.3.24-1.fc14, so it's
supposedly a very minor update to 0.3.25.1. I certainly wasn't expecting
a ton of extra dependencies.

# yum update
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, fastestmirror, presto
 * fedora: ftp.icm.edu.pl
 * rpmfusion-free: ftp.icm.edu.pl
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: ftp.icm.edu.pl
 * rpmfusion-nonfree: ftp.icm.edu.pl
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: ftp.icm.edu.pl
 * updates: ftp.uni-erlangen.de
Setting up Update Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package python-fedora.noarch 0:0.3.25.1-1.fc14.1 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: python-mako >= 0.3.6 for package:
python-fedora-0.3.25.1-1.fc14.1.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: TurboGears2 for package:
python-fedora-0.3.25.1-1.fc14.1.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: Django for package:
python-fedora-0.3.25.1-1.fc14.1.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: TurboGears for package:
python-fedora-0.3.25.1-1.fc14.1.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: python-repoze-who-friendlyform for package:
python-fedora-0.3.25.1-1.fc14.1.noarch
--> Running transaction check
Dependencies Resolved

========================================================================================================================
 Package                              Arch         Version
Repository     Size
========================================================================================================================
Updating:
 python-fedora                        noarch       0.3.25.1-1.fc14.1
updates       358 k
Installing for dependencies:
[...]
Transaction Summary