Libs with applications

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Sun Nov 20 16:30:05 UTC 2011

On Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:26:09 AM Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:20:51 AM Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I was curious how many library packages we have that also includes
> > > applications in them, so I wrote a small shell script:
> > >
> > > http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/security/lib-bin-check
> >
> > That just checks for a path.  It doesn't check if the "application" is
> > just a shell script, which is noarch.

New script posted. This dropped the list by about half.

> > > On my F16 installation, it finds around 60 packages that are libraries
> > > with applications. I'd like to ask if anyone else sees this as a
> > > problem? For example, if a 32 bit library is installed, which
> > > application is left - the 64 or 32 bit one? And wouldn't that also pull
> > > in unnecessary dependencies?
> >
> > Again, not if it's noarch.  The list of packages you found with
> > problems would have been nice.

libreport-gtk-2.0.6.x86_64
libgnome-2.32.1.x86_64
libtar-1.2.11.x86_64
libreport-newt-2.0.6.x86_64
libgpg-error-1.10.x86_64
libEMF-1.0.4.x86_64
libnotify-0.7.4.x86_64
libselinux-2.1.6.x86_64
libiptcdata-1.0.4.x86_64
libsamplerate-0.1.8.x86_64
libkgeomap-2.3.0.x86_64
libgnomekbd-3.2.0.x86_64
libmsn-4.2.x86_64
libmx-1.4.0.x86_64
libreport-2.0.6.x86_64
libxslt-1.1.26.x86_64
libvirt-0.9.6.x86_64
libcanberra-0.28.x86_64
libtunepimp-0.5.3.x86_64
libidn-1.22.x86_64
libcanberra-gtk3-0.28.x86_64
libgnome-media-profiles-3.0.0.x86_64
libhangul-0.0.12.x86_64
libcroco-0.6.2.x86_64
libkactivities-6.1.x86_64
libieee1284-0.2.11.x86_64
libgpod-0.8.2.x86_64
libwnck3-3.2.1.x86_64

But this is just my system and not an everything install.

-Steve