Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:25:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 20:56:02 +0000, JBG (Jóhann) wrote:

> Instead of everybody that are doing needed work in the distribution
> having to run around after maintainers trying to find out if they are
> still active or not and initiate the unresponsive maintainer policy,
> cant we revert the process and have maintainer(s) having to reassure
> their ownership on their package(s) at the begin of each development
> cycle and if they dont do that before x time, the package(s) they
> maintain will be automatically orphaned and given up for someone else to
> grab and take ownership before x time runs out and if nobody does they
> get remove from the distribution?

Unconvincing. To "reassure ownership" periodicially won't be sufficient.
It would be just another button to click (like FAS password or cert
renewal) and would not guarantee that the packages would be maintained
properly and that tickets would be dealt with. A "sign of life" from a
person does not imply that the person's packages are (well-)maintained.

> I cant image how much resources across the project have been spent on
> packages that no longer are being actively maintained but have not been
> removed from the distribution.

Might be true. I agree with your concerns, just not with how you'd
like to tackle the problem. ;)

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.07 0.14 0.13