Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:53:05 UTC 2011

> Unconvincing. To "reassure ownership" periodicially won't be sufficient.
> It would be just another button to click (like FAS password or cert
> renewal) and would not guarantee that the packages would be maintained
> properly and that tickets would be dealt with. A "sign of life" from a
> person does not imply that the person's packages are (well-)maintained.

Well if people want more controversial proposal of sign of live that's
relatively easier to accomplish.

Revoke that maintainers package privileges for $next-release if he does
not respond to bug reports in timely manner in GA releases and orphan
his package.

Arguable a bit drasting but at the same time far more effective clean up
process.

>> >  I cant image how much resources across the project have been spent on
>> >  packages that no longer are being actively maintained but have not been
>> >  removed from the distribution.
> Might be true. I agree with your concerns, just not with how you'd
> like to tackle the problem.;)

I think the "soft" approach will still be more efficient then current
implemented solution.

The "hard" approach would certainly be the most efficient one and at the
same time teach packager/maintainers a thing or two against their
responsibility towards the community and least but not least towards our
end user base and arguably it might be doing the relevant maintainers a
favour as in they have not realised or have not come in terms with the
fact that they no longer have the time to maintain their package(s) and
that approach would serve as a bit of a wakeup call but as I mention
some people might find that a bit of an harsh approach to the problem.

I'm all ears for any solutions to the task at hand that you might have
up your sleeve.

JBG