Packaging Yorick

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 22:19:39 UTC 2011

On 11/21/2011 04:43 PM, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> Before I look into what's required to patch this beast to meet the
> packaging guidelines, I wonder if anyone else has tried packaging it,
> and/or wants to help?

I'm always hesitant to package stuff like that, especially because:

A) All the upstream docs will refer to the layout we don't use
B) Patching it to use the different layout is almost always
super-intrusive and painful to maintain forever, especially as upstream
puts out new releases that require the patchset to not only be rediffed,
but redone, as they add new places that use the brain-damaged layout.

It might be worth having a friendly conversation with upstream and ask
them to consider moving to a standard FHS layout, however, in all the
cases I've tried, I've never had success. More often than not, the
layout on some of these projects was inherited from a "time before UNIX"
or a custom academic/scientific mindset, where they "know better" (tm).

~tom

==
Fedora Project