Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Nov 21 22:36:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:03:43 -0800
Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:

> This has come up nearly every release cycle.  Problem is that nobody
> can seem to agree on what an appropriate "sign of life" would be, no
> has made a serious FESCo proposal for a contrived sign of life.
>
> I don't think anybody disagrees (well maybe KKoffler) that
> unmaintained software should be discovered and ejected from the
> distro, the entirety of the problem lies how to discover (as well as
> side issues about what to do about maintainers that are active for
> one package, but completely ignore 3 others, etc…)
>
> So if you are serious about wanting this fixed, draft a proposal,
> figure out who's going to do the coding work, and bring it to FESCo.

To quote Ajax: +!

I think the current policy is not very ideal either, but haven't had
time/energy to work out a new one. ;)

My last thought was to come up with a automated/script way to gather
info from: bugzilla, pkgdb, koji, git, mailing lists, etc and output a
list of 'likely inactive people'. Then, have a group of humans look at
the list, and try and contact/ping people. With no reply after a
timeperiod, orphan their packages.

Note that we need to balance here cases like:

* maintainer is very active, just ignoring $leafpackage right now.
* maintainer is on vacation/sick/etc
* maintainer needs help, we should try and help them out.
* maintainer doesn't use our bugzilla as their primary bug zone.
* maintainer maintains a software that has a vast number of bugs and
  they can't deal with them all.
* maintainer is working on higher priority bug, so ignoring feature
  requests/etc.

Anyhow, I for one would welcome written up, concrete proposals here.

kevin