Why has fedpkg suddenly grown a dependency on MySQL-python?

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 22 06:42:36 UTC 2011

> I was rather surprised to find a routine "yum update" on my F14 system
> suddenly wanting to pull in a lot of mysql stuff that I'd not had
> installed at the moment.  Investigation showed that if I try to remove
> MySQL-python again, yum wants to take all this stuff with it:

You forgot to paste the most important:
# yum remove MySQL-python
[... snip ...]
---> Package MySQL-python.x86_64 0:1.2.3-1.fc14 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: MySQL-python for package:
python-sqlobject-0.10.2-6.fc14.noarch
--> Running transaction check
---> Package python-sqlobject.noarch 0:0.10.2-6.fc14 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: python-sqlobject >= 0.8 for package:
TurboGears-1.0.9-8.fc14.noarch
--> Running transaction check
---> Package TurboGears.noarch 0:1.0.9-8.fc14 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: TurboGears for package:
python-fedora-0.3.25.1-1.fc14.1.noarch
--> Running transaction check
---> Package python-fedora.noarch 0:0.3.25.1-1.fc14.1 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: python-fedora for package:
fedpkg-1.3.0.1-1.fc14.noarch
[... snip ...]
> Removing:
>  MySQL-python         x86_64  1.2.3-1.fc14                      @updates  228 k
> Removing for dependencies:
>  TurboGears           noarch  1.0.9-8.fc14                      @updates  7.6 M
>  bodhi-client         noarch  0.8.0-1.fc14                      @updates   25 k
>  fedora-easy-karma    noarch  0-0.15.20110825git36efb338.fc14   @updates   75 k
>  fedora-packager      noarch  0.5.9.2-2.fc14                    @updates   72 k
>  fedpkg               noarch  0.5.9.2-2.fc14                    @updates  248 k
>  python-fedora        noarch  0.3.25.1-1.fc14.1                 @updates  1.7 M
>  python-sqlobject     noarch  0.10.2-6.fc14                     @fedora   1.6 M
>
> Needless to say, that would put rather a crimp in my ability to do any
> Fedora packaging work on this machine.
>
> AFAIK, there is no legitimate reason for fedpkg or fedora-packager to
> need to talk to a mysql database,

They don't.

They require python-fedora, which provides a client library (used by
fedpkg iirc) as well as the necessary integration with FAS for
TurboGears, TurboGears2, Django, etc...

Perhaps python-fedora would need to be splitted then? That would have
the added benefit to remove those web stacks, rather than just the mere
228kB taken by MySQL-python.

I guess it just takes someone to do it. ;)

--
Mathieu