Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Tue Nov 22 10:18:45 UTC 2011

Excerpts from "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"'s message of Tue Nov 22 00:28:32 +0100 2011:
> On 11/21/2011 11:21 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > On 11/21/2011 10:50 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >> I understand this thread as a comment on improving the detection of
> >> inactive maintainers and unmaintained packages.
> >
> > It is indeed intended as such.
> >

> BTW does anyone have any insight on how other distributions are solving
> this Debian/Suse/Gentoo/Arch etc. since we are all faced with this
> problem and surely some distribution might have solved this problem already.

Well Gentoo has a different approach to ownership and all that. And
from that also a different approach to slacking/activity.

Basic thing considered is commits/month[1]. If that seems low over
prolonger period of time other sources of contribution for given
developer are being searched for. Usually his/hers team leads are
being asked if he/she does some thing out of our cvs tree. It can be
answering questions on forum or other activities. We don't really have
different "levels" of developers (think maintainer vs. qa
vs. provenpackager etc).

All in all this is semi-automated process. Tools gather data, produce
statistics and few people look at them and from time to time try to
ping people. Though the whole approach is mostly: "If you can help at
least a bit, don't leave". Plus there is the whole devaway[2] system
so people can be inactive for prolonged periods of time and other devs
know what to do (oh, you say you are away on long vacation until end
of December and others are welcome to fix bugs in your packages. Cool).

I am sure something similar could be done in Fedora. If the packager
hasn't made any commit in any of his packages in past 2 releases +
some other conditions maybe, it's likely he has no idea about current
guidelines, processes, has never used fedpkg etc.

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~tove/stats/gentoo-x86/cvs-log-all-2011-10.txt
[2] http://dev.gentoo.org/devaway/

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>