Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 17:53:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:05:37 -0600, RS (Richard) wrote:

> 2011/11/22 Bruno Wolff III:
> > One area where we could probably do more advertising for is getting new
> > packagers via the co-maintainer route. I think most of the new packagers
> > still come in by packaging a new package. I think we really want most of
> > the new packagers coming in as co-maintainers.
>
> Yes, this seems to be an chicken-or-the-egg issue. There seems to be
> permanent resource shortages with package maintenance which means we
> need more contributors, and then at the same time there are hundreds
> of package reviews languishing, many of which need sponsors.

Uh, come on, ... package submitters waiting on the NEEDSPONSOR list
could _really_ work a little bit more actively on persuading potential
sponsors of their packaging skills. Instead, some wait silently for
months without doing any package review themselves.

In other cases, reviewers post reviews, but it takes many weeks or
months for the package submitter to respond. What does that tell
potential sponsors about the submitter's motivation to become a
package maintainer?

Btw, it has happened before that people have been sponsored without
doing a couple of package reviews. Sometimes as a result of them
actively seeking for a sponsor. That may be easier than waiting for
magic to happen. We still don't have enough package reviewers.

> I don't want to get too far off topic but being short handed is
> directly related...
>
> Does the sponsor processes need to be more formalized? Currently you
> must be nominated (either by someone or yourself) but there's no
> concrete requirements on a knowledge or skill level required to be a
> sponsor.
>
> To bring it to a more personal level, I have no idea if I've done or
> proven myself enough to become a sponsor or not. If I am deficient in
> an area, there's currently no formal feedback mechanism for me to know
> in what areas I need to improve.
>
> I can't be the only person stuck in this nebulous position...

And still there have been self-nominations before.
You could look up FESCo tickets of past nominations.

Are you an active reviewer?