Dropping the ownership model

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Nov 22 17:59:58 UTC 2011

2011/11/22 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> What do people see as pros and cons continuing to use the current
> package ownership model?
>
> Would it be practical to dropping it altogether which in essence would
> make every contributor an "proven packager"?

Allowing any packager to commit to most packages is something that we
could try.  There is a risk of people making undesirable changes, but
we won't know until we try.  Also, the definition of "undesirable"
often depends on some project-specific knowledge that is not
documented anywhere, and having the access more open would be an
incentive to get this documented.

I wouldn't want to get rid of the ownership model altogether, I think
there should be a specific person responsible for handling bug
reports/RFEs.  When a group is responsible to handle something not
really pleasant to do, often no single member of that group feels
personally responsible.
    Mirek