Getting Sponsored (was Re: Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 19:26:27 UTC 2011

Also along these lines...

Perhaps this has been discussed before I'm not aware of it but do we
really need to hold up a package because the submitter needs a
sponsor?

What I mean by that is, if I'm not misunderstanding the process, that
a person who submits their first package must be sponsored before that
package can be accepted into Fedora. So basically we're holding up a
package that may be very desirable to others until the packager has
proven themselves.

Does this make sense? If the package has made it to an acceptable
state, should it not be accepted regardless of the packagers sponsor
status? That way they could go ahead and get experience with the whole
process, with just one package to start with, because believe me, the
first package I imported into Fedora was an anxiety ridden experience
with a high learning curve. Not everyone already understands fedpkg
and git :)

The net effect would be that new packagers would get to experience the
process from start to finish with one package first. If/When they
submit a second package, they would set the needsponsor flag again so
only sponsors would review their packages, and so forth until such
time that a sponsor believed it was time to take the training wheels
off.

Of course, I wouldn't want to discourage doing informal reviews of
other packages.

Richard