Getting Sponsored (was Re: Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 19:57:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:26:27 -0600, RS (Richard) wrote:

> Also along these lines...
>
> Perhaps this has been discussed before I'm not aware of it but do we
> really need to hold up a package because the submitter needs a
> sponsor?
>
> What I mean by that is, if I'm not misunderstanding the process, that
> a person who submits their first package must be sponsored before that
> package can be accepted into Fedora. So basically we're holding up a
> package that may be very desirable to others until the packager has
> proven themselves.

Dubious. Any examples available?

A "very desirable" package would likely receive lots of reviews, lots of
interest in co-maintaining it, and lots of advertizing on a relevant
mailing-list in Fedora space.

> Does this make sense? If the package has made it to an acceptable
> state, should it not be accepted regardless of the packagers sponsor
> status?

Fire'n'forget?  Please, no.  Even properly sponsored packagers have left
the project without prior warning.  And a couple of others have show the
desire to include a package in the Fedora collection without being the
ones to maintain it. That won't work.

It may be considered a hurdle, but if you really wish to join the Fedora
packagers, it isn't so difficult to do that.