Dropping the ownership model

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 22 20:23:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 13:20 -0500, Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:

> > Would it be practical to dropping it altogether which in essence
> > would
> > make every contributor an "proven packager"?
>
> Well, everyone becoming a proven packager is going too far from the beginning.
> Though I have to say that this approach worked quite good in Mandriva in the past.
> I still remember misc telling me "please don't break too much" . For the few years I maintained packages there
> I haven't seen a single case of someone abusing his powers.

Well, it's worth noting that while I also don't remember a case of
anyone _intentionally_ abusing powers, there were cases where someone
would make a change the nominal owner of the package had considered and
actively decided not to make, or people would override each other's
whitespace preferences, or things like that.

None insurmountable, but it's worth noting there'd likely be some
friction as a result of such a change, and people would need to learn
appropriate ways of dealing with it. (I found that when there was some
change I specifically didn't want to happen to a package, it was best to
add an explicit comment threatening various hideous consequences to
anyone who made such a change. Viz the top of
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/libopensync/current/SPECS/libopensync.spec?revision=679177&view=markup .)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey