Changing kernel API / Breaking VirtualBox - update criteria violation?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:44:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 08:53:33PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:50:40PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 08:28:30PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > > If you interpret "The ABI" as "Any property of the binary that another
> > > package could conceivably depend on" then your position makes sense. But
> > > since nobody would interpret it that way, the obvious conclusion is that
> > > "The ABI" means "The supported ABI". Attempting to codify this more
> > > precisely would just encourage language lawyering, which is exactly what
> > > we were trying to avoid when we generated this policy. Use common sense.
> > >
> > http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-November/159819.html
>
> Really. Use common sense. You appear to be the only person who's
> strongly confused on this issue.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-November/159715.html
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-November/159781.html
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-November/159826.html

As we're just covering ground that's already been covered at this point, I'm
going to stop replying -- the offer is still open in the fesco ticket if
you/they would like me to work on the wording of the policy.

-Toshio