Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 24 01:52:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 08:18 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:47:32 -0600, RS (Richard) wrote:
> >
> >> but that's a separate problem. The shear amount of
> >> documentation/guidelines there are.
> >
> > Hey, :) you know what? Troublesome newbies would like even more
> > documentation, guidelines and policy documents. Also a book about koji,
> > bodhi, package git, fedpkg and more. ;-)
> >
> > The opposite doesn't fly either. Less guidelines resp. more brief ones
> > (e.g. on packaging) would be considered insufficient and not clear
> > enough, since there would be much more room for misinterpretation.
>
> I didn't imply that there should be less documentation or guidelines,
> only that it's more than a person can "grok" at one time. My thoughts
> are that it would be better if there was some way to ease people into
> it, just as in school you don't go straight to Calculus or DE, but
> start with geometry and then algebra and you work your way up to the
> more complicated stuff, building your knowledge base as you go.

Isn't that the whole point of the sponsoring and peer-review processes?

The way I see it, you don't need to have perfectly assimilated all the
guidelines before you submit your first packages (if that's even
possible).

You submit a package, and you work with the reviewer, learning new parts
of the guidelines as you go.

And package after package, review after review, mistakes after mistakes,
you learn more and more.

Maybe that's what is hard for beginners: accept that you won't produce
something perfect the first time and show your work anyway, others will
help you improve it. But it would be a common problem in open source,
not something specific to the Fedora packaging.

--
Mathieu