Dropping the ownership model

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Thu Nov 24 12:48:22 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Kevin Kofler's message of Tue Nov 22 19:24:22 +0100 2011:
> Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > I wouldn't want to get rid of the ownership model altogether, I think
> > there should be a specific person responsible for handling bug
> > reports/RFEs.  When a group is responsible to handle something not
> > really pleasant to do, often no single member of that group feels
> > personally responsible.
>
> All the core KDE packages are de facto SIG-maintained; no matter who the
> official primary maintainer of the particular package is, we all feel
> equally responsible for them. This works very well.

All (or most) code KDE packages come from the same source, have the
same build system, same quality standards etc. This is not really true
for most "package sets" a group of people might be interested in. They
will share some similarity (common macros, standard sub-packages etc.)
but vary greatly otherwise.

Since Java packages were already mentioned, we have hundreds of
them. There are sets of packages that are similar to KDE
(apache-commons-*), but most of java packages are coming from
different sources. Some upstreams bundle dependencies, some
don't etc.

That said we welcome comaintainers and I've never been shouted at for
using my provenpackager privileges to update spec to latest guidelines
or for fixing a bug. But even though I know our Maven build system in
and out, it's sometimes hard to predict failures caused by some
changes. A single mistake in package can result in big problems
(where even raising Epoch wouldn't help because build would fail).

So I'd modify the proposal a bit...loosen the requirements on
rawhide. If someone screws it up there, no problem. It will be found
soon enough even if the problem is somewhere deep down in the basic
dependencies.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 7B087241