epel 6 fedpkg build or koji scratch builds failing — I'm stumped

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Nov 24 13:54:27 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:20:50AM -0500, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 10:08 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > On 11/23/2011 07:57 AM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> >>
> >> I can build glusterfs fine on real RHEL6.1 using rpmbuild, both x86_64
> >> and i686 with `rpmbuild -bb ...` and `rpmbuild -bb --target=i686 ...`
> >> respectively.
> >>
> >> I can also build using mock, both x86_64 and i386, with `mock -r
> >> epel-6-x86_64 --rebuild ...` and mock -r epel-6-i386 --rebuild ...`
> >> respectively.
> >>
> >> In all the above cases I get all the expected RPMs and the build.log
> >> shows no errors.
> >>
> >> But when I do a `fedpkg build` or a `koji --scratch ...`  in the el6
> >> branch of my fedora-scm tree the builds fall down with an error
> >> compiling a y.tab.c file. Suffice it to say it builds for f16 and
> >> rawhide just fine using the exact same sources and spec file.
> >>
> >> Build logs aren't particularly helpful and since they succeed in mock
> >> and rpmbuild I can't debug the build issue locally. Obviously there's a
> >> compile error of the y.tab.c file, but I can't see why it doesn't work
> >> in koji when it does work everywhere else.
> >>
> >> Perhaps there's some extra fedpkg flag I should be using for epel builds?
> >
> > Perhaps try without parallel make?
>
> Yes, that makes it work.

This might indicate a bug in the Makefile, so really that should be
fixed.  If you could point to the place in the source where it fails,
then we could take a look.

Parallel makes are desirable, particularly on modern multicore
processors where each core might be slow but you've got lots of them.

Rich.