Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Fri Nov 25 12:39:46 UTC 2011

ons 2011-11-23 klockan 12:30 +0100 skrev Vít Ondruch:

> it is interesting that there are still some packages
> from F14 and older Fedora releases. That is sign that these packages are
> un-maintained and they are FTBFS.

Indeed, and many more are. But we do have a process for dealing with
unmaintained packages, and also a process for dealing with FTBFS in
specific.

If that process is not working then try to address that. A suggestion is
to lessen the waiting needed if it's already clear indication en
existing bug reports that the maintainer is not responding.

Just realized by reading the nonresponsive maintainer policy again that
package takeover is also a track for becoming a fedora contribtor. This
information seems to be missing at all the important places.

All in one the different paths for becoming a fedora packaging
contributor needs to be better explained. It's too easy to misread
current documentation that you must submit a new package.

> Otherwise I have no other explanation
> how they survived the F15 mass rebuild. If there would be easier way how
> to get the maintainer ACLs, may be somebody would pick them up.

It's not a very complicated process to pick up a package where the
maintainer has gone unresponsive. Just takes a bit of time.