A Glorious Vision of Our Shared Update Feedback Future (bodhi, karma, and proventesters, oh my)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Nov 26 05:08:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-25 at 08:44 +0100, David Tardon wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 02:03:16PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 21:58 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >
> > > With the above information what benefits/value will we have by having
> > > proven tester over fas tester hitting the panic button
> > > ( since no addinal testing is being performed by the proven tester over
> > > fas-tester thus it makes no difference if fas-tester or proven tester
> > > hits the panic button)
> >
> > The proposal is to treat a PT hitting the panic button even more
> > dramatically than a registered user hitting it, the idea being that PTs
> > should be somewhat better informed and hence less likely to trigger it
> > falsely, and that we have the mechanism to withdraw PT privileges, so if
> > a PT does trigger, say, two false alarms, we can simply make them not a
> > PT any more. It's much more of a drastic step to revoke someone's FAS
> > account.
>
> I'm a bit concerned about the fact that we seem to put an equality sign
> between "proventester" and "knowledgeable user of the package in
> question".

I'm not entirely sure where you got that idea, as nothing in the text
you quoted actually says that. It's all to do with the availability of
regulatory measures.

> IOW, how a membership in some group makes one know what is
> needed to test a random package?

Well, for a start, that's a bizarre way to phrase an argument.

'How do the letters BSc after one's name magically bestow knowledge'?

The answer is that they don't: you have the cause and effect mixed up.
You get the magic letters _after_ you do the learning. If we were using
proventesters the way you suggest, then one would get the proventesters
membership _as a consequence_ of the knowledge. Not vice versa. Even if
it weren't irrelevant, your argument is an absurd one.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey