A software center for Fedora

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 22:40:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Laurin <lineak at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I totally agree with you, a software center would be a really nice idea,
> also for more experienced user because they can browse easily through the
> available software and may find something interesting.

I am really confused by this thread.

Here is what my F14 laptop has:
http://people.xiph.org/~greg/packagekit.png

It can be configured to only show end-user graphical applications and
to hide subpackages, via the filters dialog though this isn't the
default (and I don't think it should be— unless a way of turning off
the filters is made more discoverable).

This thread was mentioned on IRC and I asked about it because I
couldn't understand it.

I wasn't able to get an explanation I found acceptable...

One thing that was suggested is that a "software center" would only
show graphical end user apps, and would hide libraries and
sub-packages. But, as I point out, the software in Fedora can already
do this.

It was also suggested that a software center would "highlight or
promote typical tools that an average person would need"—  I'm skip
the rant about Fedora's myopic definitions of an average person, and
focus on typical: If there is a application which most average users
will need— why isn't it in the default desktop install?

Can someone help me understand whats being asked for here? I can only
guess that I'm not the only person confused by this thread.