A software center for Fedora

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Sun Nov 27 01:26:44 UTC 2011

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:40:58 +0100, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Here is what my F14 laptop has:
> http://people.xiph.org/~greg/packagekit.png
>
> It can be configured to only show end-user graphical applications

That's not enough.  I use my grandfather unaffected by prior MS-Windows
experience as a real user tester.

gpk-application is a no go for him.

(1) There are hundreds/thousands games, how to choose those he may like?
    There is no popularity / "favorite games" choice.
    There is no single-click demo / preview of the game.
    Software Center seems to address this ("Our star apps" / "Top Rated").
    When I forced him trying once (F14 Gnome2) installing some games he told
    me those games he tried were just stupid.

    (1b) He is not going to read ANY texts to decide which game to choose.
         (1b2) Those texts are only in English; but it does not matter in fact.

(2) Even after he installs the game he cannot run it.  It just creates some
    menu item entry but he never enters the menus.  Moreover there are
    tens of already installed games in the menu so he cannot find the new one
    there (I also could not find it as they were unsorted and vertically
    scolling).  He can run only those he has _icon_ on the desktop for.
    Each new installed application should create a new _icon_ on the desktop.

As a result he uses Fedora only as a launcher of Flash games as the web Flash
catalogs have "Top Rated" games listed there and the games are just easily
accessible there - one clicks the "Top Rated" entry and the game runs.

Plus he runs those games I installed there myself and created for them an icon
on his desktop.

Fedora is missing some real end user testing, if it tried to targets the end
users.

Thanks,
Jan