A software center for Fedora

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 11:16:06 UTC 2011

Il giorno dom, 27/11/2011 alle 03.08 -0500, Aleksandar Kurtakov ha
scritto:
> [...]
>

> IIRC and think about the same package - this was a package containing data that is part of repos metadata,
> without any idea how it would be for kept uptodate with latest packages. From time to time updates is not an option obviously.
> You have a noble goal to improve user experience but please whatever you do, don't do anything that will require every packager
> to do something - it won't work and I'm pretty sure that many maintainers would happily give you commit rights to their packages
> but nothing more (I'm surely one of them).

I know, and I understand why the yum developers rejected the package
approach, back in 2009. That's why I'm proposing to do the dirty work of
generating and including app-stream.xml and app-icons.tar.gz in the
repodata.

> This shouldn't be discouraging you - history has proven that once you have something cool people will happily work on it.
> For the missing icons for non installed software - having something like the filelist db in the repo containing only the icons from
> .desktop files might work though the size of it might be a concern. But if you do that on the repos side I'm pretty sure that adding
> support for it to gpk/apper would be an easy task.

I really hope so.

Giovanni